Historical Kerala Government Secretariat, Thiruvananthapuram

Thiruvananthapuram-Kerala Government Secretariat.Google Sites

Thiruvananthapuram-Kerala Government Secretariat.TripAdvisor
The Government Secretariat, the seat of administration of the Government of Kerala, consisting of ministers of the party in power, heads of  countless  departments,etc., is a popular landmark in the capital city of Thiruvananthapuram. Located on Narmada Road, earlier before independence, the Secretariat complex was the Durbar Hall for Travancore Kingdom. Here, the King  would meet his council of ministers on monthly basis to discuss matters related to administration, civil services, etc. The building, designed and built by one Barton, was completed in 1869 under the supervision of the then Dewan, T. Madhava Rao (his statue is opposite the building). Its foundation stone was laid by the Maharajah of Travancore His Highness Ayilyam Thirunal. The building was designed, using Dutch and Roman architecture.

 It was here in the Durbar Hall His Highness Chithira Tirunal, the last king of Travancore, ascended the throne  in a ceremony held at the Secretariat. The Kerala State Legislative Assembly  functioned here from 1939 before it moved over to the new assembly building, the foundation stone of which was laid  on 12 December, 1933 by Lord Willingdon, the then Viceroy.  it was opened on 6 February, 1939 by eminent lawyer and  Dewan  of Travancore Sir C. P. Ramaswami Iyer. In the same year,  the Second Sri Mulam popular Assembly convened.

The Kerala Government Secretariat ien.wikipedia.org/
Kerala Secretariat Complex has  3 blocks. The central block  being  the oldest structure and the main door  known as Ana Kavadam (Elephant Door),  opens to the grand Durbar Hall. This Durbar hall earlier was used only by Travancore Maharaja and his council of ministers and the public had limited access to the deliberations.  Today, it is a different story and it is being used for  State ceremonies and public meetings. 

The three storied central block  of the Durbar Hall has many departments.The Old Assembly Hall is on the  ground floor of the Central Block. The new additions on either side of the central block are  the North Sandwich Block, that houses office of Kerala Chief Minister, offices of few cabinet ministers and cabinet rooms and the  South Sandwich Block that has primarily offices Government secretaries, etc.

Known during the princely period  as the Huzur or Puthen Kacheri, it was renamed the Government Secretariat in 1949.