Army Training Command buildings, Shimla, HP - amazing colonial vestiges

ARTRAC,HQ Shimla, HM, India.

ARTRAC HQ,Shimla, HM, India.

Above image:  Army Training Command complex (ARTRAC) buildings in Shimla, Himachal Pradesh, India. ARTRAC -Army Training Command HQ moved into Shimla on March 31, 1993 from Mhow, (founded in Oct. 1991) MP. After 1993 WC moved near Chandigarh. The prestigious parts are Officers' mess Will Hall built in 1862 by Gen.Butler; renamed Knockdrin. in 1868 it became the residence of foreign secretary of the government. In June 1885, it was converted into officers' mess. The retreat at Chaura Maidan is yet another English style building. It is part of ARTRAC and serves as the Command House of GOC-in C.....................................

ARTRAC HQ Western Command, Shimla

Among the numerous colonial buildings that have survived this far despite fire accidents, poor upkeep, etc, in Shimla  the stylish  army buildings are quite outstanding in terms of their  architecture, vantage location and grand stale.  A series  of buildings constructed parallel to the Mall called Western Command are important European styled green roofed buildings that carry the legacy of the British Raj. Stretching from the DC office to the Kali Bari temple,  the British India government built them in 1860s with a unique design and architectural style with less wooden frames  and more iron or wrought iron frame work. This was done  with a view to making the structures fire  as well as earthquake proof.  This precaution was taken by the British engineers as they had already lost many buildings on the hill in the past due to fire accidents.The multifarious military training institute was a prestigious one, so the engineers employed a striking design worthy of the institute's prestige and to highlight the glory and power of the British army.   

The government acquired this property from one E. Dalton, Post Master who was killed in the first war of independence in 1857. The work on the buildings began in August 1881 and the main part of the project was completed from 1882 to 1885.